Friday, August 26, 2011

Who Invited Irene anyway?

Irene will not be a guest at our wedding!  And neither will any of her brothers and sisters.  It's one of the reasons we've picked May over August in OBX.  No Hurricanes!

I can't remember a time when I was so effected by a hurricane.  Irene is apparently going to slam right into us sometime Saturday evening.  I went shopping for some essentials for Nic, our neighbor Eileen, and I today just in case.  I must state the obvious and say that I am not looking forward to this.  I am also not looking forward to seeing and hearing about any damage done to the Outer Banks by this monster of a storm. Irene is effecting my home in Boston, and my wedding 15 hours south in NC.

We love The Outer Banks so much that we're getting married there even though it's not the most convenient place for anyone (us especially since we HAVE to drive).  We love the long stretches of open beach, the salty sea air, the houses on stilts, the cute little towns along route 12.  We love that we can rent a house on the Pamlico Sound, and yet walk to the ocean beach clear across the island and up a dune in 15 minutes.  But the point that we can do that means that it's one narrow Island that will hopefully still be there after this storm is finished.

I got an email from our photographer today that she'd love to take our deposit and set our contract, but she's been evacuated so no dice!  Same with the caterer.  It's crazy.  Let's hope the home we've picked is not damaged in the storm, and that all of our vendors luck out with no damage as well.  Heck let's hope that Irene leave OBX with minimal damage all together.  Fingers and toes crossed. 

I'm going to hunker down in Boston with my candles, flashlight, radio, canned food, Nic and Maizey, and finish assembling the pocket cards for our save the dates.  My goal is to have them out next week.  So maybe a day inside is exactly what I need to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment