Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

While in the Outer Banks, Nic, his family, and I went to Mack Daddy's in Avon.  We'd avoided this place in the past because of tales of long lines, poor service, and overpriced menu items.  I am not sure what made us go there that night, but boy am I glad we did.  The line was short, the service great, and the food was awesome!

Nic has told me that I can pick his food out anywhere because he always likes what I pick.  This time, he was the winner.  Linds, Vince and I all got the same meal.  Fresh caught tuna seared rare with some sort of starch.  It was very good, but obviously not as memorable as Nic's since I've forgotten the rest.  Tina and Rick both got delicious shrimp dishes that was very well prepared, but Nic got shrimp and grits. 

I've had shrimp and grits, and I've made shrimp and grits.  They've all been forgettable until Mack Daddy's.  These were unbelievable, and I've been thinking about them since.  Being prompted by Nic's recent inquiry as to weather or not I've forgotten how to cook, I decided I was going to give these a try.

I made them today, and they were fantastic.  The secret ingredient....coffee in the sauce.  OMG, they are good!
 I started by making grits, and adding cheddar cheese.  I let them sit for 30ish minutes to firm up.




After frying some bacon I got my mise en place together so I could work quickly with a sauce I thought for sure would break.



 A quick roux with bacon fat and flour mixed with shallot, garlic, salt and pepper, wine, a dash of french vanilla brewed D&D coffee, and finally heavy cream.  Paula Dean would be proud!








The shrimp are the real star of this dish, but the bacon doesn't hurt!



Tossed the shrimp and sauce together with tomato concasse and bacon and served it over the grits that I cut into squares and pan fried.  Yum-O!

Mack Daddy's yours are still be best I've had, but I am going to tweak my recipe until it tastes just like yours!

I gauge all meals by asking Nic a simple question:  Is this a make again, or a Fugetaboutit ?  This was a make again!












No comments:

Post a Comment