Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jill of all Trades

I have never been afraid to try something new.   I love to try new foods, or new games, new activities, meet new people etc.  It should be no surprise to anyone who knows me that I will also try anything crafty to see if "I can do it instead of buy it."  Never has this been more true than planning this wedding!  I want to be clear though-I do not want my wedding to appear as if corners were cut to save a buck.  I want our wedding to be lovely and fun, but I want to do as much as I can with the resources we have to throw this wedding.  If I can make it, I'll try, if not, I'll buy :)

In an effort to save our families an selves thousands-I've learned to decorate cakes so I (with a lot of help from MLL) can make my own cake.  I've come to really enjoy this cake decorating thing, and am not teaching cake decorating classes at Michael's.  So fun!

In the vein of saving moolah on this wedding, I've decided to try to make this amazing necklace I saw on Etsy.com.  I bought all the fixings to do it, and put one together during the Super Bowl.  Here's a pic of the finished product:

My first attempt at jewelry making.

The price for the necklace on Etsy.com was $46.00.  I made this one for under $1.00.  Really, how can I justify spending $45.00 more for shipping and 30  minutes of someone else' time?  

I am really not a cheap person-even though I sound it in this post.  I just feel so creative lately and I feel this DIY confidence all because of my newest addiction pintrest.com.  If you're not on it you should be.  I won't turn this entry into a tutorial for pintrest.com, but if you'd like one ask.  It's changed my life.  Seriously. The creative juices flow just from surfing on there!

I honestly feel like a Jill of all Trades lately.  MLL and I made all the invitations-between that and the jewelry and cakes I feel like a wedding planning business could be in the works!


No comments:

Post a Comment